March 7, 2008
MADISON ULTIMATE FRISBEE ASSOCIATION Inc.
December 14, 2007
Present: Brad, Robin, Sue, Matt, Kris, Dan, KJ
1. Bank account
b. CD and other investments
a. MSCR – cannot add any more programs
– We could place an add in the MSCR catalog for a summer camp type thing
– a 1/2 page add costs – $1085
– or, a program listing – the Mallards example: participants paid 30$, MSCR took 5$ per participant as payment
– KJ wants to do 2 days per week on east side and two days on west side
-create mailing list for announcements e.g. Dan’s request for coaching help, KJ will need assistants for summer camp
Brainstorming ideas for KJ
– schedule for classes
– equipment needed
– schwag for kids
– assistants needed
4. Local Events
a. Red Eye
Topics of Discussion
- Motion accepted 6-1 to publish 4 meeting dates per year, grants need to be submitted 2 weeks before the scheduled meetings, checks will be distributed a minimum of 1 week past the date of the meeting.
- January 24 – prepare for public meeting, meeting
- January 31 – public meeting
1. Coaches conference in Boston
2. Grants – Sue will write up grant submission guidelines, with deadlines and so on.
3. MUFA Merchandise
a. Africa – – motioned passed 7-0 to send remaining summer 07 jerseys to Africa
4. Sponsoring try outs for national teams
Motion passed 6-1 to pay for the camp fee ($115) for up to 4 kids for 2008 who make the tryouts.
5. WI State High School Trophy – tabled
6. Lining Fields – Robin look into and found no one available to hire to do it.
Robin will look into landscaping companies
Matt will call city and ask for a number
7. The 16 (on second page)
8. Tax and Insurance
9. Elections / public meeting
1. Give people money to set up teams in schools.
- Dan suggests middle schools. yes. (4th and 5th grade).
- In Seattle, went to the school board and suggested making ultimate the cornerstone of their middle school athletics – there are no refs to pay, it can be played coed. They paid the coaches (we think 500$ – will check on the numbers).
- Dan would assist a middle school directors for ultimate expansion, but doesn’t have time to do it.
- Kris will write a position description for the middle school director.
- It will be presented at the public meeting and will be posted before the meeting.
2. Set up charitable trusts.
- Would we consider doing this in the future?
- A matching program?
- MUFA has trust fund that’s set up, or donate to other trusts.
- Give out the interest on the trust based on what groups have done for ultimate community.
3. Give people money to set us MSCR classes or leagues.
4. Give people money to set up mini-courses at the UW.
- It’s OK, but putting it on hold for now.
5. Advertising for our leagues and MUFA.
- What is the cost, what are our different options? Robin will look into this.
- Put Kate Arnold on a city bus.
- Sponsor things like Susan Komen runs to get MUFA’s name out there.
6. Have MUFA become an official 501-3(c) Non-profit organization.
- Yes, will check into it with the lawyers
7. Pay the UPA dues for first time UPA members who play in the fall club series.
8. Pay to Line the fields.
- Robin will call landscaper, Matt will call city
9. Set up new tournaments.
- Hodags want to reestablish Midwesterns as a more local, small college tourney. Should MUFA assist in helping organizations/people create tourneys.
- BSG – move it around to different cities? Won’t happen within the structure of BSG
- Should MUFA host a tournament? We’d need a tournament director.
10. Buy Ultimate educational materials for each team in Summer League, such as books and/or DVDs.
- Donate ultimate material to public library?
- Subsidize the purchase of instructional materials.
- Robin will find out about the costs of buying this stuff.
11. Introduce Ultimate at the Phy-ed level in schools.
- Robin will look into giving discs and rulebooks to high schools.
12. Introduce Ultimate at Edgewood College and MATC.
- It should be on the college students to start teams for themselves. We will help people who approach us.
13. Pay teams to have skills clinics.
- Might be accomplished through our trust/reward system
14. Film some of the league games and put them online with commentary.
- Potentially hire a company to (professionally) film summer league finals.
15. Put together a series of instructional videos.
- Can probably get better quality already made.
16. Create promotional brochures, flyers, and posters for MUFA that we can hand out to schools and other events.
- Create MUFA bumper stickers/decals for cars.
Long term goals for MUFA
1. Maintain and improve the ultimate Frisbee experience for the MUFA members
2. Support the growth of youth and juniors ultimate in the community.
3. Support the growth of college ultimate